Wednesday, May 13, 2015

"Summer Secrets" by Jane Green

"Summer Secrets" by Jane Green was the latest review book in my stack, although I cannot recall if it came directly through the publisher or through Goodreads.  In any case, this was a book I did not anticipate enjoying - the blurb on the back led me to believe I was about to sit down with a chick-lit, beach fluffy, finished in two hours type book.  Not the case.  While parts exist that I could have done without, this was mostly a nice surprise.  What makes this worth recommending is the main character's struggle with alcoholism.  Green does an especially insightful job illustrating the immediate and long-lasting damage done by alcoholics to themselves and to their families.  Several nice plot twists tie everything together until the end, which I found too sappy, predictable and unrealistic.  Overall, this one is worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment