Wednesday, April 22, 2015

“Beneath The Bonfire” by Nickolas Butler


“Beneath The Bonfire” by Nickolas Butler is the best collection of short stories I have read since Robin Black’s “If I Loved You I Would Tell You This.”  Every story has power and depth, well-developed characters that elicit strong emotions and descriptive settings that made me desperately homesick for my native Wisconsin.  Each story features characters struggling with some major issue, and I like that several don’t end well or have satisfying conclusions.  My favorite was “Sweet Light Crude” with “Train People Move Slow” a close second.  Oddly I found the title story by far the weakest in the collection, although still a good read.  The highest praise I can give any author is what I offer here – I want to read his first novel and I can’t wait to see what he gives us next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment